The 2019 edition of the Texas Investor Guide is here, so the sooner you order copies the sooner you'll be able to start the new year with the unbiased, no-nonsense guidance you need to invest wisely and avoid financial fraud.
The Investor Guide is free, and multiple copies are available. Provide your name, address, and the number of copies you would like to receive to Robert Elder, Director of Communications & Investor Education, at email@example.com.
The Texas State Securities Board updates the Investor Guide annually to provide Texans with the most current information on the basics of investing, recognizing inappropriate and fraudulent investment offerings, and undertanding the different types of financial professionals.
New to the 2019 edition is a section on the digital flood of cryptocurrency-related investments being pitched to ordinary, Main Street investors, far too many of whom committed their money to risky, little-understood offerings.
In addition, the Investor Guide explains:
- Investing for growth – although investing always carries risk, it’s hard to achieve your financial goals otherwise;
- The basics of mutual funds, including target date funds, and how to invest in them;
- Asset classes such as stocks, bonds, CDs, real estate, and cash, and how they generally differ in risk and performance;
- Avoiding scams and high-risk investments, with details on some of the most outrageous cases we have prosecuted; and
- Understanding and controlling the cost of investments;
- Examples of simple, easy-to-assemble investment portfolios that help you strike a balance between risk and return;
- Putting together the pieces of a secure retirement, including IRAs, 401(k)s, and knowing the strategies of claiming Social Security benefits;
- The research you can do and the questions to ask to increase the odds of finding a financial professional you can trust.