Classification Number: 3501
Starting Wage: $4,166.67/Month
Opening Date: 5/24/2018
Closing Date: When filled
Agency: STATE SECURITIES BOARD
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 13167, Austin, Texas 78711-3167
Work Location Address: 208 E. 10th Street, 5th Floor, Austin, Texas 78701
Number of Openings: 1
FLSA Exempt: Yes
Travel Required: Yes, up to 5%
- Works with the attorneys in the General Counsel Division to provide legal advice to agency staff;
- Rulemaking: assists in developing and drafting regulations and preparing filings with the Texas Register;
- Conducts or assists with legal research: includes analysis of legislation, legislative history, and statutory and case law impacting agency operations; includes monitoring bills and reporting on Texas legislative matters, rulemaking by other agencies, and proceedings affecting the agency;
- Assists in coordinating and responding to complex Public Information Act requests and preparing of briefs when submission to the Attorney General for a ruling is required, sometimes includes copying and scanning voluminous records and drafting related correspondence, emails, and briefs;
- Proofreads and edits legal and administrative documents; organizes, maintains, and updates internal databases; distributes electronic publications;
- Reviews press releases and website content for accuracy and clarity, includes some basic website editing and posting using Drupal (training provided) and electronic notices to subscribers using GovDelivery/Granicus;
- Work overtime (more than 40 hours per week) when necessary to complete time-sensitive work (mainly during the biennial legislative session); and
- Performs other work as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (License, Education, Experience):
The minimum qualifications require graduation from accredited law school with J.D. Degree and a license to practice law in Texas.
Knowledge and experience with: Texas and/or federal legislative process; knowledge or experience with securities regulation or in the securities industry; ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks with varying deadlines, work collaboratively with others, and work independently while maintaining a professional, courteous demeanor; ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information; willingness to seek out and obtain training.
REMARKS (Application procedure, Special requirements):
To be considered for this position, you must submit (1) a completed standard state application, (2) a State Securities Board “Supplement To Application For Employment,” (3) a copy of your law school transcripts, (4) and a writing sample. Applications and supplement may be downloaded from website at https://www.ssb.texas.gov. Completed applications, along with the supplement, transcripts, and writing sample, should be sent to Human Resources, State Securities Board, P.O. Box 13167, Austin, Texas 78711-3167; faxed to 512-305-8327; or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a standard state application. EOE.
Veterans, Reservist, or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for this position. Military Crosswalk information can be found at http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_AdministrativeSupport.pdf