Classification Number: 3502
Starting Wage: $5,250.00/Month
Opening Date: 5/8/2023
Closing Date: Until filled
Agency: STATE SECURITIES BOARD
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 13167, Austin, Texas 78711-3167
Work Location Address: 208 East 10th Street, 5th Floor, Austin, TX 78701
Number of Openings: 1
FLSA Exempt: Yes
Travel Required: Yes, up to 25%
Texas Drivers License Required: Yes
The Attorney I will work in the Austin Office of the Enforcement Division of the Texas State Securities Board. The Enforcement Division is charged with detection and prevention of violations of the Securities Act, including fraud committed in connection with the sale of securities, illegal sales of unregistered securities, and sales of securities by unregistered dealers. The employee will investigate investment schemes for violations of the Securities Act by identifying and securing evidence, analyzing voluminous records, and interviewing and taking testimony from witnesses. The employee will also research legal issues, draft administrative enforcement actions, prepare referrals for criminal prosecution and participate in hearings and trials. The employee will further conduct related work as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (License, Education, Experience):
The minimum qualifications require graduation from accredited law school with J.D. Degree and either be licensed to practice law in Texas or be awaiting the results of the most recent bar examination. Other minimum qualifications include the following:
- Ability to understand and follow written instructions, guidelines, templates, and procedures to complete assigned tasks.
- Skill in conducting effective legal research, writing and analysis.
- Skill in effective oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling and prioritizing multiple tasks.
- Skill in exercising sound judgment and effective decision making.
- Skill in using a computer for document production, research, and communications.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to receive and respond positively to constructive feedback.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others in a friendly and collegial manner in a professional office environment.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work more than 40 hours as needed.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
The preferred qualifications are professional experience in law enforcement and the regulation of the securities industry or other financial services industries.
HOW TO APPLY (Application procedure, Special requirements):
To be considered for this position, you must submit (1) a completed standard state application, (2) a State Securities Board “Supplement To Application For Employment”, (3) a copy of your college transcripts, and (4) a writing sample. Applications and the Supplement form may be downloaded from the Agency website at https://www.ssb.texas.gov. The preferred method to submit completed applications, along with the Supplement, transcripts, and writing sample, is via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also mail to Human Resources, State Securities Board, P.O. Box 13167, Austin, Texas 78711-3167, or fax to 512-305-8327. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a standard state application. Applicants to be interviewed will be contacted by the Agency. Applications accepted for this position only.
PLEASE NOTE: All applications must be complete, including job title, history, dates of employment, name of employer, supervisor’s name and phone number, and a description of duties performed. Failure to submit this information on your application is considered incomplete and may be rejected. Resumes do not take the place of this required information.
Veterans, Reservist, or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for this position.