General Counsel III
Classification Number: 3522
Starting Wage: $7,916.67 / Month
Opening Date: 9/15/2016
Closing Date: Until Filled
Agency: STATE SECURITIES BOARD
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 13167, Austin, Texas 78711-3167
Work Location Address: 208 E. 10th Street, 5th Floor, Austin, Texas 78701
Number of Openings: 1
FLSA Exempt: Yes
Texas Drivers License: Yes
Travel Required: Yes, up to 10%
• Works with the General Counsel to provide legal advice to the Securities Commissioner, Board and staff;
• Develops and drafts rules for consideration by the Board, includes preparation of and filings with the Texas Register and development of internal and public guidance;
• Monitors and reports on industry developments, federal regulations, and Congressional legislation affecting the work of the Agency;
• Researches and analyses legislation, legislative history, and interprets and applies statutory and case law impacting agency operations, includes development and drafting of internal agency procedures and policies;
• Coordinates and responds to complex Public Information Act requests and briefs matters when submission to the Attorney General for a ruling is required;
• Monitors bills and reports on Texas legislative matters and proceedings, includes reviewing and drafting legislative proposals affecting the agency;
• Work overtime (more than 40 hours per week) when necessary to complete time-sensitive work.
• Assures agency compliance with open government and ethics laws and trains staff on those legal requirements;
• Assists agency staff and the general public in interpreting The Securities Act and Board Rules, including reviewing requests and issuing interpretative and no-action letters;
• Review of press releases and website content for accuracy and clarity, includes some basic website editing and posting;
• Counsel Commissioner in connection with issuance of final orders in contested case matters; and
• Performs other work as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (License, Education, Experience):
Graduate of accredited law school with J.D. Degree and licensed to practice law in Texas, or eligible for admission to the Texas Bar. Applicant must have a minimum of three years of experience in securities law.
Legislative experience and knowledge of administrative laws relating to state or federal agencies is desirable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of state and federal laws, regulations and rules pertaining to securities regulation and of agency administrative rules and regulations.
• Skill in identifying problems and reviewing related information and ability to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions; skill in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems, and in reconciling differences.
• Ability to prepare legal documents, to prepare policies and procedures, to conduct research, to interpret and apply laws, and to summarize findings.
• Must be able to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with others.
• Ability to coordinate a heavy workload and interact with a wide variety of individuals.
REMARKS (Application procedure, Special requirements):
To be considered for this position, you must submit (1) a completed standard state application, (2) a State Securities Board “Supplement To Application For Employment,” (3) a copy of your college and law school transcripts, (4) and a writing sample. Applications and supplement may be downloaded from website at https://www.ssb.texas.gov/about-us/employment-opportunities. Completed applications, along with the supplement, transcripts, and writing sample, should be sent to Human Resources, State Securities Board, P.O. Box 13167, Austin, Texas 78711-3167; faxed to 512-305-8327; or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a standard state application. EOE.
Veterans, Reservist, or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties that fall in the fields of 27, 27A, 27B, 44, 51, 250X, LGL10, 04, 4402, Staff Corps, Legal, 51JX, or other related fields pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for this position. Military Crosswalk information can be found at http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_Legal.pdf